Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Weekend Getaway

Josh and I took our first ever trip without our kids.  We've never had a chance to do it before, reason #117 I wish we lived by family.  His sister has come to live with us for a while, so her first weekend here we took off before she could say no.  We went just for a couple of days, but it was so nice to have some time alone, to be able to sleep in until 10:00, and then not waking up to a kid in my face asking for breakfast.  We headed up to the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina to a cabin.  We had plans to go to the hot springs but we were so relaxed and cozy in the cabin we got too lazy and didn't go.  We were also going to have a campfire but the weekend was so crazily windy that didn't happen either.  We did get to hike the Appalachian Trail.  We can now check that off our bucket list.  Not that we have one, but if we did, we could  mark it off.  We didn't see any wildlife, but we did see some bear droppings right on the trail.  Lucky us.
Did I mention it was super windy?  I thought I was going to blow off the mountain. 

This is where the cabin was.  The advertising failed to mention that it was located near other houses.  Not a touristy spot at all, which is fine, but not the secluded spot it claimed to be.  It was right by a few houses and a small church.  And the drive there was really freaky.  We passed a bunch of shacks and houses that looked like places you would find psycho killers.  And the fact we were out of cell phone range didn't help either.  The cabin was nice, however, but I feel lucky we left alive.  We laughed a lot about a lot of things this weekend.
The other thing was that there were no restaurants nearby.  Just scary ones I was not about to enter.  We ended up eating at the grocery store deli the first night, that's how bad it was.  Something always seems to go wrong on our vacations, but that's what makes them memorable.  It was a really great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment