I think these bird photos are from another day, but we saw quite a few of them during the week. They're Brazilian Cardinals, and we loved them. Probably the prettiest birds we saw, but we saw quite a lot of other types.
First thing this morning we visited Pearl Harbor. We watched a video about the attack, and learned a lot, and then took a boat ride to the USS Arizona Memorial. There was a sacred feeling here, so I felt like it would be weird to pose for pictures here, smiling, so we didn't take any.
This is the top of the Arizona sticking out of the water. Over 20 ships were sunk that day, and all but 3 of them were recovered and put back into operation. Incredible. The Arizona was not recovered, and they built a memorial on top of it. There are over 1100 men entombed in it. So sad to think about.
It has been 75 years and there is still oil leaking out of it into the water.
There have been many of the survivors who requested to be buried with their shipmates, which is what you see here. There will be a funeral for one of the men on the anniversary of the attack this year in December. He was 100 years old, and there are now only 8 survivors left.
Next up was Waimanalo Beach. We parked under some shade and enjoyed the beautiful scenery.
Rabbit Island.
This tree was perfect for keeping everything out of the sand.
So I basically laid here and couldn't stop staring at the blue water and watching my dress swaying in the lazy breeze.
Loved this beach.
Then we were on our way to find a wood carving shop. Josh always buys something made from wood on his international trips, so we figured Hawaii was close enough that we needed something for our collection. On the way we saw this pretty spot so we stopped to look around. Behind us is Chinaman's Hat.
I don't know what these mountains are called, but I'm kind of obsessed with them.
The lighting at this moment was seriously breathtaking.
Lunch that day. I still think about our delicious meals.
We loved driving around the island. It was weird to be about three feet from the ocean at times.
I took this one while in the car. The water was right there!
We also had to check out our hotel's pool up on the 4th floor. It was overlooking the ocean, if you look close you can see it in the background.

No comments:
Post a Comment