Monday, October 6, 2014

State Week

Sidney had the idea for State Week. Little did she know we would be moving soon. I worked it into the week we moved. It was perfect because we actually got to experience some states instead of just talking about them. I got them some Kid's National Geographic Road Atlas books packed with cool info. They colored some state pictures, played the license plate game, and we talked about the states. Not much, but it was fun to experience new places together.

We drove from Houston to Boise when we moved. 39 hours of awesomeness. Josh drove a U-Haul that was pulling our van, and I drove our truck. I used to be spoiled. Josh got a new job with a smaller company that doesn't move people. Why on earth I agreed to that, I don't know. His old company packed us up, loaded everything, drove it to our new destination, put us up in an apartment for weeks or even months at a time, shipped our cars, paid for our gas money if we drove, or our flights, put our stuff in storage while we looked for a home, and then some. Spoiled, I know. This time we got a moving allowance that almost covered all our costs, I packed every single box, and then we drove. We had to get rid of a lot of furniture and other stuff to fit it. I never had to worry about that before. I was spoiled, and I know it. Why did we give that up? I don't know. Well, I do know, but what the heck? See, these things make me question what I know.
 
Anyway, the drive wasn't too bad. I would get super tired during parts of it, so I would call Josh to keep me awake, but the kids were awesome. Tanner cried once for an hour. Other than that I barely heard a peep. Jayden and Sidney took turns in the U-Haul so they never rode together. I think that helped, there was no fighting. Tanner slept some, we all ate junk food, the kids watched movies and played video games. We drove it in 3 1/2 days. I actually loved road trips, it was a bummer we couldn't stop and enjoy the sites. Instead I took pictures of the back of the U-Haul along the way.
 

 
 
 
Tanner found caffeine. Fabulous. 
Texas. 
Our first stop. We were exhausted. Some little town in Texas. 
 
 
 
 
New Mexico. 
We stopped in Albuquerque and drove into a beautiful sunset. There was a cool storm with some crazy pink clouds.
My kids love continental breakfasts, they think it's the most fun thing ever. 
 
 
 
We drove through Colorado, I think this is there. Maybe. 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Utah.
 
We stayed at my aunt's house on our last night. 
 
Idaho. So. Much. Sagebrush. I miss my trees. I miss green. I don't know how to live without it.

No comments:

Post a Comment