Wednesday, April 20, 2011

This is Why I Send Jayden to Preschool

On a normal Monday morning I drop off Jayden at preschool, maybe run a couple of errands, come home, exercise, and shower.  And while I shower Sidney plays in the playroom.  On the days Jayden doesn't have school, they play together in the playroom.  But it's Spring Break, so things were thrown off a little.  We had some fun plans for the day, so I hurried to take a shower.  They stayed downstairs for some reason.  They do that occasionally, but they always seem to migrate upstairs anyway.  After my shower I called to them to come upstairs to get dressed.  They came.  I looked at Sidney and wondered how all her hair got tucked into her shirt.  A couple minutes later she looked at me and said in an innocent voice, "Jayden cut my hair."  I realized then that her hair wasn't tucked into her shirt.  It had in fact, been chopped off by her big brother.  I was horrified.  HORRIFIED!  I cried.

When I asked Jayden where the hair was he showed me.  Notice the toy vacuum sitting nearby.  It was sitting on top of the hair.  He had tried to vacuum it up.  I don't know if he was trying to clean it up or hide it.

I am still horrifed.  I can't tell you how sad I am. She had such pretty hair with these awesome natural layers and a cute little flip.  Josh loved to brush her hair after her bath.  It has taken forever to grow out and I'm just so so so sad.  He hacked it up bad.  I almost tried to fix it on my own, but looked at the 18 different layers and decided against it.

We made an unplanned trip to the salon.  Sidney did great.  Better than me.  I almost cried when a little girl showed up for her first ever haircut and she was about 8 years old.  Her hair was long, down to her waist.  I wasn't planning on growing her hair that long, but I just wasn't prepared for her to lose it so soon. 

She was so funny, looking at herself in the mirror.  She keeps telling me, "I like my haircut.  I look so pretty!"  At least she likes it.  I don't.  I'm trying, but I really don't like it.  I feel terrible saying that, but that's how I feel.  It's still uneven.  Jayden cut it so short the stylist said this was the best bet.  So in a few months she'll have to get it cut again.  Sad.

Here's a better view.  Still so uneven, maybe cutting it myself would have been just as bad.  I know it's just hair and it will grow back, and it could have been worse.  I keep telling myself that.  It took Jayden until the next day to tell me why he did it.  He said he was cutting paper, then decided to cut her hair because he thought it would look pretty.  When I asked him if he thinks it looks pretty now he said no.  And Sidney keeps saying every once in a while, "Jayden cut my hair," and, "Jayden, you cut my hair!"

4 comments:

  1. So, so sad! She is still a darling girl with short hair, but I would feel exactly how you do if it happened to Bethany! Here's praying it grows faster than before :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no! haha I can't help laughing, but at the same time I almost cried because of how sad it made you. One day, it won't be so sad. : ) She still looks cute though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think every child has to have the self/peer-hair-cutting experience at least once in their life. I don't think there's a way around it, actually.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh!! I'm so sorry. If you want to feel a little better, you can always remember when the little Gibbs boy cut off all Anna George's hair - remember that? - like to the scalp. It was bad. Here's our worst one so far: http://thedamberfamily.blogspot.com/2008/11/this-is-not-good.html ~ but it was made a little easier by the fact that Maely was 4 and she did it to herself. But in the picture where she's pretending to be a warrior you can see how gorgeous and long her hair used to be. And she had to have that comb-over for a LONG LONG time. You can try round brushing with a hot blow dryer to get the ends to curl a little - that might help it blend a little better. Best of luck! When I saw the pictures my eyes watered too~ I feel for you!

    ReplyDelete