Friday, March 18, 2011

Greenest Day Ever

St. Patrick's Day is a big deal for us.  Jayden's favorite color is still green and throughout the past year he has been asking when his favorite holiday is coming up.  Finally, a couple weeks ago when he asked he said, "FINALLY!  I've been waiting for like a YEAR!"  He remembered everything we did last year and in keeping with tradition we did them again and also added a few things.  Everything sort of ended up with a rainbow theme.  Approximately 100 pictures to follow.
We started the morning with green oatmeal, milk, and muffins.
I made Sidney's oatmeal pink, knowing she would get mad about green.  The green muffins she dealt with.
Then we went to the lake for a "green-nic."  It was about 70 degrees yesterday, perfect for a green-nic and playing outside. 
 Sidney's busy eating green grapes.
 I told Jayden to give me a normal smile, but he said he was.
 The kids were throwing leaves into the lake, but they were calling them Leprechauns.  Sidney was so excited when they landed in the water and here she's saying, "I did it!!"
As we were sitting by the lake our friends happened to show up so we spent the next hour or more playing with them.  These are our friends who moved here the same time we did and from day one their little girl and Jayden have just not gotten along.  Who knows why, but for the first time in two years, they were playing together perfectly, so we had to grab a few pictures in case it never happens again.  We figure they'll probably grow up and get married.
 Marcus was looking at me with the funniest face.  Like how dare you take my picture!
At home the kids went on a scavenger hunt to find a treasure of Skittles and a new Don't Eat the Leprechaun game.  (Have you played Don't Eat Pete with your kids yet?  My kids love it, and it's really easy to make.  Actually you just have print it off and have bite sized candy or crackers or something. Google it.)  So we played a Leprechaun version.
I bought the kids these green accessories you'll see below.  I couldn't pass them up when I saw them, and figured they would have a lot of fun with them and we'll be able to use them again next year.  Totally worth the pictures.  We set up the tripod and had a picture shoot.  When the kids discovered there's a timer on the camera they became obsessed and we spent about an hour taking pictures of each other.  It was really fun.  We couldn't get the wig on Sidney, but I will one day and I already know it will be funny.
 When I put the wig on Jayden said, "Mom, you look like you have Kiron's hair, except it's green!"  If you know Kiron, you'll know what I'm talking about, otherwise, check out my previous post here.
We had a Rainbow Dinner.  I really stretched this one, but coming up with a green or rainbow or Irish dinner is really hard, and I didn't really want to make corned beef and cabbage, whatever that is.  So we had a rainbow of salads, and every salad had green in it.  As we sat down to eat I felt like I was at a church potluck, so I might have to come up with something different next year.  But the kids ate really well, and sometimes that's all I want.  The fruit salad has "clouds" in it too.
Sidney started dishing herself some fruit and I was so busy taking pictures of it, I didn't pay attention to the huge pile that was forming on her plate.
Jayden helped me make the rainbow cupcakes while Sidney took her nap. While we were standing there he said, "Mom, remember when I was 4?"  Like it was so long ago.  And I said, "Were those the good old days?"  Later he came and sat down by me and said something, I forget what, and then he said, "Yeah, those were the good old days."
It was such a good day yesterday.  I wish every day could be that good.

3 comments:

  1. It makes me smile that you go all out for St Patricks day. I really want to love this holiday for some reason, just not this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such fun! Now I'm bummed I didn't do more for the kids on St Patrick's day! I'll have to remember your ideas for next year! I love the rainbow cupcakes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This makes me want to be a kid again! :)

    ReplyDelete