Monday, July 23, 2012

Science Week

This week we did a bunch of random science experiments I found on Pinterest.  Science was always my worst subject in school, so the kids didn't get any real science lessons.  When we did an experiment all I could say was, "Wasn't that cool?"  I couldn't explain to them why anything happened, but they didn't seem to mind.  Almost all of this stuff can be found on my Pinterest board if you're interested in trying anything.  I would give you links, but I'm too lazy, so let me know if you need help finding any of this.  It was all really easy and I only had to buy alka seltzer and borax for about $4 total.  The borax was used for 3 of these experiments, so if you're looking for fun, easy and cheap fun for your kids, here it is.  Everything else I had on hand.  We also took a trip to Discovery Place one day.  Josh was in Houston all week and he brought home astronaut ice cream for a surprise, so we counted that as a science treat.

Cornstarch and water makes for lots of gooey fun.
Milk, food coloring, and toothpicks.  Jayden wanted to try water afterward, but it wasn't the same.
Puffy painting.
Lava lamps.  This was Jayden's favorite thing and only needs 4 ingredients.
Gak!  I used to love this stuff and the kids love it too.  This also only needed 3 or 4 ingredients.
Crystals.  These were pretty cool and only needed water, borax and pipe cleaners.  The picture is terrible, but basically you soak the pipe cleaners overnight in water and borax and it crystallizes the pipe cleaner.  It also crystallized the vases I used for them, which was actually really pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment